This is where I will be planning the overall design. Some people let the process lead them to a design, which I very much admire. I don’t seem to get very far when I use this approach.
I am using the archways tracing. I will photocopy it, then enlarge, reduce, or rotate the archways. Using A4 size paper makes the calculations for enlargement easier. The photocopier is my best friend in designing.
The final design (after a lot of mucking about). The plan is to have writing along the curves and different things in the windows.
I have my own checklist that I sometimes use and is useful to think about various options before beginning a project, have a clear plan to work towards (that can deviate along the way if required) and most important of all to remember my original intent.
The most important thing is to feel very excited about the project- art quilts take a lot of time, effort and money to make. If you are not excited in the beginning, you are not going to have the momentum to see the project to its fruition.
A few weekends ago I had a wonderful time with the Centre Quilters Circle at Wangaratta. I stayed in a cottage nestled in an amazing garden belonging to the most creative and hospitable Sandra Makin. The ladies in my class designed their own landscapes after completing my pattern (you can see parts of the blue bell woods in some of the pictures) . We covered composition, colour, and fabrics that work well for landscapes. Thank you to all for an unforgettable weekend!
The following are ‘works in progress’.
Here are the artists.
Here are a couple of shots from Sandra’s garden….amazing! These are true colours, not photo-shopped!
Earlier in the year I was feeling a bit frustrated with my projects. I often have a lot of ideas and don’t know where to start. Or I start on something with passion and lose interest.
One useful thing I have found when in this mood is to tidy up the studio. I often find that as I am sorting through stacks of fabric, I can re-organize and prioritize.
Another thing is to just cut and sew together fabrics without a plan in mind. I found this piece of hand painted fabric that I had used for a class sample and decided base a piece of work from it.
After choosing some colours that would go together, I sewed units together. I pinned them up on my trusty design wall and rearranged the pieces whenever I felt like it. There was no plan, no dead line, no perfect seams required! I added some crosses and a small amount of commercial aboriginal designed fabric to add some pop.
I used chunky pearl cotton threads to stitch the layers together with a Kantha type stitch and a big needle.
THE FINISHED PIECE: EASTER QUILT by Linden Lancaster 2016
A recent commission for a lovely family from Picola. Oi is originally from Thailand and is the most wonderful cook ever; she can make a delicious meal out of thin air! Sean has helped us out with our poor neglected garden- he especially loves roses, hence the inclusion of Iceburg roses. Jai-dee is a clever little lass who attends Nathalia primary School where my husband works as a Chaplain.
Technique: Handpainted/silk screened wholecloth background. Fused fabric applique for figures and roses. Confetti technique for the tree leaves. I used Inktense pencils to shade the roses and the leaves were printed with compressed sponged, cut out and appliqued.
Oi detail 2004 Linden Lancaster
Sean, crop 2014 Linden Lancaster
Jai-dee, crop 2014, Linden Lancaster
I took photos of the roses, cropped them and played with them in Photoshop. I used them in sets of (window) cards for Christmas presents.